Competences & fields of activity
Gaming and betting law, sports and esports law, corporate law
Dr Jakob advises German and English speaking clients on matters of Sports, Esports and Gaming Law.
He heads MELCHERS’ Sports & Esports Law Practice Group and is also a member of the Gaming & Betting Law Practice Group at MELCHERS due to his years of practical experience acting as General Counsel for various gaming companies. In the field of sports, Dr Jakob has been advising athletes, clubs and sports associations, especially with regards to professional football, for over 12 years. He also has strong ties to the professional esports scene. From 2018-2020, he acted as Legal Counsel for one of the leading esports teams in the world. Dr Jakob is a accredited judge at the German Sports Arbitration Court and since the beginning of December 2019 appointed judge at the newly founded Association Arbitration Court of the ESBD - Esport-Bund Deutschland e.V.
Like all members of the practice groups, Dr Jakob regularly publishes articles in industry magazines and publications, has an excellent international network in the industry and experience in lobbying.
- 1993 - 1998 Study of law at the University of Heidelberg
- 1998 - 1999 Master of European Law (LL.M. Eur.), Saarland University
- 1999 - 2001 Legal traineeship in Berlin
- 2002 Admission to the bar
- 2004 - 2007 Attorney atJakob & von Notz
- 2007 - 2008 Attorney at Brehm & von Moers
- 2008 Doctorate (Dr. iur.) at the University of Heidelberg
- 2008 - 2016 Legal Counsel, Deutsche Klassenlotterie Berlin and Stiftung Deutsche Klassenlotterie Berlin
- 2017 - 2019 Head of the legal department, authorised signatory, mybet Holding SE
- 2019 Head of the legal department, G Esports Holding GmbH
- 2008 - 2019 Independent attorney
- since 2008 Arbitrator at the German Sports Arbitration Court
- since 2019 Judge at the Association Arbitration Court of the Esport-Bund Deutschland e.V. (ESBD)
- since 2020 Associate at MELCHERS
- Arbeitsgemeinschaft Sportrecht im Deutschen Anwaltverein
- Arbeitskreis Handels- und Gesellschaftsrecht im Berliner Anwaltsverein
- Gesellschaft der Freunde Universität Heidelberg e.V.