Competences & fields of activity
Gaming & betting law, Competition law and antitrust law, Copyright and publishing rights
Jessica Maier advises German- and English-speaking clients from the gaming industry on all regulatory and licence-related issues of gaming law. Her practice also includes strategic advice and support to gambling companies, in particular in the context of due diligence and compliance audits or with regard to competition law and antitrust issues. Ms. Maier accompanies court proceedings and has been involved in various official licensing procedures on several occasions. She is a member of the International Association of Gaming Advisors (IAGA) and Global Gaming Women (GGW) and, like all members of the gaming team, has an excellent international network in the industry and lobbying experience.
Ms. Maier regularly publishes in leading professional journals and is co-author of the "Germany" chapter in both the Thomson & Reuters publication "Gaming Law Practical Law Global Guide" (3rd edition) and the Global Legal Group Ltd. publication "ICLG The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Gambling 2017", which provide cross-border insights into the sometimes very different forms of gambling regulation worldwide in question-and-answer format and at a high level.
- 2005-2010 Study of law and successful completion of a two-year specialist foreign language training in English at the University of Passau
- 2010-2011 LL.M studies at the University of Glasgow with focus on IP and Antitrust Law (LL.M International Competition Law and Policy)
- 2011-2013 Legal traineeship in Heidelberg, Speyer and New York
- 2014 Admission to the bar
- 2014 Associate at MELCHERS
- 2019 Partner at MELCHERS
- Webinar: “RG: A Priority for Operators?”, Presentation on Responsible Gambling and Advertising in Germany Today and in Future, Glücksfall Centre for Player Protection, April 2020
- Webinar: “German Gambling Treaty Heralds Market Shake-Up”, Gaming in Germany in collaboration with VIXIO GamblingCompliance, March 2020
- Webinar: “Latest Updates on the German Sports Betting Application and the Interstate Treaty on Gambling”, in collaboration with the Malta Remote Gaming Council (MRGC) and Chevron Group, February 2020
- Podcast: “Episode 6 Germany Gambling Treaty Explained”, The GamblingCompliance Podcast, February 2020
- “Sports, eSports and peer-to-peer”, SiGMA, Malta, November 2019
- Moderator of the panel “Convergence of gaming and gambling” at the Eastern European Gaming Summit, Sofia, November 2019 where Jessica also acted as an Advisory Board Member and organised a Global Gaming Women lunch session.
- “Sportsbetting and match-fixing – how should sports integrity develop to deal with current emerging threats”, International Association of Gaming Regulators (IAGR) Summit 2019, Jamaica
- “No advertising please – will the acceptance of promoting gambling activities soon be as restricted as tobacco advertising?”, International Association of Gaming Regulators (IAGR) Summit 2019, Jamaica
- “D-A-CH regional update”, CEEGC 2019 Budapest
- “Regulatory Panel” at the first iGaming NEXT in September 2019, Malta,
- “GGW Lean-In Circle”, ICE 2019, London
- “eSports – Beyond the hype”, Eastern European Gaming Summit 2018 in Sofia
- “The art of leaning in and reaching out”, GGW session at the Eastern European Gaming Summit 2018 in Sofia
- “IAGA Best Practices Institute – eSports and its growing market for millennials”, G2E Las Vegas, October 2018
- “How can the industry be truly socially responsible”, IMGL Autumn Conference 2018, Prague
- “Fraud and FCPA – constant challenges and modern solutions”, IAGA Gaming Summit 2018 Macau
- “When does social gaming become unsocial”, IAGA Gaming Summit 2018 Macau
- “IMGL Masterclass – Future of Affiliate Marketing”, Eastern European Gaming Summit 2017 in Sofia
- “GGW Lean-In Circle”, Eastern European Gaming Summit 2017 in Sofia
- “Rapidly changing lottery landscape”, Eastern European Gaming Summit 2017 in Sofia
- “The Big AML Debate”, IMGL Autumn Conference 2017, Copenhagen
- Participation in the panel “The Newcomers – Overview of current issues and trends regarding the two new buzzwords in the gaming industry “Daily Fantasy Sports” and “eSports” at the Eastern European Gaming Summit in Sofia, 23 November 2016.
- Participation in the IMGL Masterclass panel “Waiting for Germany to go online” at Excellence in Gaming (EiG) in Berlin, 21 October 2015
- “Gaming Law 2019: Germany”, Chambers and Partners, 2019 (co-authored with Dr. Joerg Hofmann, Dr. Matthias Spitz, Prof. Dr. Clemens Weidemann)
- “Germany”-chapter, ICLG The International Comparative Legal Guide to: Gambling 2020, Global Legal Group Ltd (co-authored with Dr. Joerg Hofmann and Dr. Matthias Spitz). Melchers have contributed the chapter on Germany to this annually updated publication since 2014.
- Germany: The Gambling Law Review, Edition 4, 2019, The Law Reviews (co-authored with Dr. Joerg Hofmann and Dr. Matthias Spitz). Melchers have contributed the chapter on Germany to this publication since 2017.
- “Gaming in Germany”, Gaming Law Practical Law Global Guide, Thomson Reuters, Third Edition, 2016 and regular updates of online edition (latest update: August 2019 (co-authored with Dr. Joerg Hofmann and Dr. Matthias Spitz). Melchers have contributed relevant information on Germany to this publication since its 1st edition, which was published in 2012.
- Practical Guide: Germany Online Gambling Tracker, GamblingCompliance. The tracker is updated almost every week and has been running since January 2018.
- Germany Tracker, Gambling Compliance
- “The State of German Gambling Regulation”, Casino Life Magazine, June 2019
- “eSports – A matter of perspective, European Gaming Lawyer, March 2018 (co-authored with Dr. Matthias Spitz and Lior Koblenz)
- “Affiliate Marketing in Germany - Wild, wild west?”, iNTERGAMINGi Affiliates, October 2017
- “Try to fix you - A critical analysis of Germany's attempt at ensuring a better protection of sports integrity by introducing new criminal laws”, Gaming Law Review. Sep 2017, Volume 21, Issue 7, p. 493-499 (co-authored with Dr. Joerg Hofmann and Dr. Jan Axtmann)
- “Gazing into the crystal ball: 2018 regulatory outlook for Germany”, European Gaming Lawyer (2017) (co-authored with Dr. Joerg Hofmann and Dr. Matthias Spitz)
- “The 4th Anti-Money-Laundering Directive: European Efforts to Halt the Laundromat”, American Gaming Lawyer, 2017 (co-authored with Dr. Matthias Spitz)
- "Guiding DFS operators across the pond - DFS in supposedly "unregulated" European markets”, European Gaming Lawyer, Autumn 2016 (co-authored with Dr. Matthias Spitz)
- “A new period of sports betting "tolerance" in Germany”, Online Gambling Lawyer (formerly World Online Gambling Law Report), October 2016 (co-authored with Dr. Matthias Spitz)
- „The Future of Bitcoins in European iGaming Depends on Taxation“ veröffentlicht in European Gaming Lawyer, Spring, 2016, (co-authored with Dr. Matthias Spitz and Dr. Gregor Führich)
- EGR Compliance Database (Germany section), eGaming Review, Oktober 2014 (co-authored with Dr. Joerg Hofmann and Matthias Spitz)
- “Food for thought – German regulation on online gambling under the scrutiny of market data”, European Gaming Lawyer, Autumn 2014 (co-authored with Dr. Joerg Hofmann und Matthias Spitz)
- “So near but yet so far”, Gambling Insider, November 2014 (co-athored with Matthias Spitz)
- “The regulatory challenges facing Germany in 2015”, World Online Gambling Law Report, Februar 2015 (co-authored with Matthias Spitz)
- “Tracing the money – an overview of payment blocking efforts in Europe”, European Gaming Lawyer, Spring 2015 (co-authored with Matthias Spitz)
- “Hesse ruling quashes licensing process of Interstate Treaty”, World Online Gambling Law Report, Oktober 2015 (co-authored with Matthias Spitz)
- “Schleswig Holstein could play part in shaping AML regulation”, World Online Gambling Law Report, August 2014 (co-authored with Matthias Spitz)
- International Association of Gaming Advisors (IAGA)
- Global Gaming Women (GGW)
- Past-Mitglied Rotaract Club Passau